Pranciškonų spaustuvės leidiniai Lietuvos mokslų akademijos Vrublevskių bibliotekoje

Direct Link:
Collection:
Mokslo publikacijos / Scientific publications
Document Type:
Straipsnis / Article
Language:
Lietuvių kalba / Lithuanian
Title:
Pranciškonų spaustuvės leidiniai Lietuvos mokslų akademijos Vrublevskių bibliotekoje
Alternative Title:
Publications from the Franciscan Printing House at the Wroblewski Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences
In the Journal:
Keywords:
LT
Vilnius. Vilniaus kraštas (Vilnius region); Lietuva (Lithuania); Kultūros paveldas / Cultural heritage; Spauda / Press.
Summary / Abstract:

LT1671 m. Vilniuje veiklą pradėjusios Pranciškonų konventualų spaustuvės raida ir leidiniai spaudos istorikų įdėmiau nėra tirti. Manoma, kad iš viso per gyvavimo šimtmetį (1671–1781, su pertraukomis) ši spaustuvė yra išleidusi daugiau kaip 160 pavadinimų leidinių, iš jų lietuvių kalba – 13. Straipsnyje apžvelgiamas spaustuvės steigties kontekstas, pateikiami raidos metmenys, teminiu, kalbiniu, poligrafiniu-meniniu požiūriais nagrinėjami Lietuvos mokslų akademijos Vrublevskių bibliotekoje esantys šios spaustuvės leidiniai (67 pavadinimų). Daroma išvada, kad, laikoma viena iš vadinamų mažųjų LDK oficinų, Pranciškonų spaustuvė atliko vaidmenį LDK spaudos istorijoje: jos leidiniai įsiliejo į LDK leidinių visetą ir jį reikšmingai pagausino. Esminiai žodžiai: Pranciškonų spaustuvė; LDK spaudos istorija; spaudos paveldas; Vilniaus leidiniai; Lietuvos mokslų akademijos Vrublevskių biblioteka. [Iš leidinio]

ENIn 1671, a new, Franciscan, printing house was opened in Vilnius. For this city, it was the time of recovery from the Deluge (the devastation wrought by Muscovites in 1655–1661), when construction on new churches began, acclaimed European artists came here to work, and the cultural and religious life grew livelier. The Franciscan Printing House (oficina) had existed in Vilnius for over a century (1671–1781, with breaks) and published more than 160 publications, of which 13 were in the Lithuanian language. This was the only printing house in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and one of the two in the entire Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth belonging to the Franciscan Conventuals (the other Franciscan printing house had briefly, in 1769?–1774, operated in Lwów; the Bernardines did not have their own printing enterprises). Information about the activities of the Franciscan Printing House can be found in works by historians of the Church and monastic orders, handbooks of book studies and universal encyclopedias; this printing house is an object of complex research by book historians, but its history and publishing output are still in need of in-depth studies. The article overviews the context of the establishment of the Franciscan printing house, providing an outline of its development. It also offers a thematic, linguistic, and artistic analysis of the publications of this printing house now held in the Wroblewski Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences (67 titles). These are both the object of the article and a source for the research. The publications, now in the holdings of the Library’s Rare Books Department, do not make a separate collection, being an integral part of the 17th–18th-century Lituanica Collection. They came to the Library from various personal and institutional libraries or collections along with other print publications of those times.The present research confirmed an assessment by book historians that the repertoire of the Franciscan printing house was not wide, most of its publications being on religious topics. A majority of books from this printing house in the holdings of the Wroblewski library are those with religious content (86,6 %). Fictional and sociopolitical literature makes just 7,5 %, and treatises on other subjects, even less: state and law, 2,9 %; history, 1,5 %; and mathematics, 1,5 %. Linguistically, the 67 titles are distributed as follows: 17th-century publications in Latin are 10; and in Polish, 10; 18th-century publications in Polish are 32; in Latin, 13; and in Lithuanian, 2. Most of the authors and editors of the publications were Franciscans, but the printing house gladly published works by Benedictine, Dominican, and Basilian authors, as well as those by monks from other orders (the Carmelites, the Piarists, and the Missionaries). The authors of translated works formed a minority. The opinion that publications of the Franciscan printing house lack printing and artistic quality, which is now prevailing in historiography, may be accepted only partially. In reality, Franciscan publications often have proofreading mistakes, but some of their books are extremely well printed. Ornamentation in books from this printing house reminds that of other Vilnius printing houses of the times (Vilnius Academy’s, Basilians’, Piarists’) – the same ornamental plates used to be copied, rented, purchased, etc. There are no original engravings in the Franciscans’ publications from the holdings of the Wroblewski Library. To conclude, the Franciscan printing house, one of the so-called smaller printing houses of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, played its role in the history of printing of the Grand Duchy: its publications merged into the entirety of the printed matter in the Grand Duchy, making a significant addition.The publications of this printing house in the holdings of the Wroblewski Library represent the everyday life of 17th–18th-century Vilnius printing houses. Even though the thematic distribution of the publications is not diverse (with religious literature being predominant), they nevertheless demonstrate general trends in the publishing of those times (in subjects, languages, authors, etc.). Keywords: Franciscan printing house; history of printing in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania; Vilnius publications; printing heritage; Wroblewski Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences. [From the publication]

DOI:
10.54506/LMAVB.2021.10.6
ISSN:
1648-9772
Related Publications:
Permalink:
https://www.lituanistika.lt/content/99525
Updated:
2023-03-02 15:17:26
Metrics:
Views: 15    Downloads: 3
Export: